Monday, August 27, 2007

I Don't Like Mondays

Brenda Ann Spencer stole my birthday.

Well, considering that she is 6 years older than me I guess she couldn't really steal my birthday. I hadn't had one yet. But still ... You kinda want to like the folks you share your day of birth with (April 3, if you're wondering).

I don't know Brenda Ann Spencer, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be too fond of her if I did. She did one of the many things that evoke instant dislike in me.

She opened fire on a playground full of kids. Killing 2 adults, wounding 8 children.

But that is not what this post is about.

Songwriter Bob Geldof read this news item and wrote his band's second hit (well, 2nd in the UK. Didn't do as well stateside.) That song, "I Don't Like Mondays", is based around Spencer's response when asked why. She responded, "I don't like Mondays".

The song is rightfully considered by many to be a classic. It has one of the best explanations of "why" I know of.

Why war? Why famine? Why murder rape pestilance etc etc?

"I don't like Mondays".

But that doesn't make any sense you might say. That's not a reason.

Again from the song:

He can see no reasons
Because there are no reasons
What reasons do you need?

-----------------------------

There. Not quite as dark as last post. But really, when your topic was immolation and rape and suffocation there really aren't many ways you can go that don't lighten things up a bit.

So upward.

And, hey, somebody is waiting up there for us. Wearing a polka-dot dress?

No comments: