Saturday, October 27, 2007

One Weekend Under A Groove: Speedround!

Many of these groups I didn't hear enough of to say much about. Others I simply didn't like enough to investigate further.

AFTERNOON NAPS - "THE SUN AIN'T THE SAME"

Jangly guitar pop. Not a female in sight. Another thing makes them somewhat different than many of the other groups I looked at - they're Americans.

THE GO! TEAM

I kept running across this band when looking at stuff about The Pipettes. Someplace even said "If you like the Go! Team you'll love the Pipettes." Apparently it's not transative.

CAMERA OBSCURA - "LLOYD I'M READY TO BE HEARTBROKEN"

Really nice vocals. Didn't really look at the band very in-depth though.

NOONDAY UNDERGROUND - "LONDON"

This really reminds me of something. I can't figure out what. Late 60s West Coast (SF) rock, but what? Like it though.

MY BRIGHTEST DIAMOND - "WORKHORSE - SOMETHING OF AN END"

An entry in the nameless creepy/dreamy genre I spoke of last post.

DEAR EUPHORIA - "SNOW"

Ditto.

EL PERRO DEL MAR - "COMING DOWN THE HILL"

Ditto again. But El Perro Del Mar is often described as being more like "traditional" girl group, so I guess I need to hear more.

THE SCHOOL - "ALL I WANNA DO"

This is really nice. Pretty straightforward girlpop.

XMAL DEUTSCLAND - "BOOMARANG"

The link I followed described it as bleak, which is pretty spot on. Vocals are more talking than singing, which is a little annoying, but that may be unique to this song.

LADYFUZZ

Described as "indie-dance". I really liked "Oh Marie", not a big fan of the other Ladyfuzz I listened to.

SLEATER KINNEY

Many of the groups I liked like Sleater-Kinney. I guess I just didn't hear the right stuff then. Should be right up my alley. They are considered Riot Grrrl deities. I didn't DISlike them, just ... I think I need to hear more.

Phew. Who woulda thunk it would take two weeks to mention two days' worth of listening? Only one group left. The winners (was this a competition?) You can figure out who they are from what I've said already. Or you can wait for the post.

That's what I'd do.

No comments: