Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pants (or why last week sucked)

Nothing makes one appreciate impaired mobility quite like no mobility at all.

My left leg tends to give me a lot of trouble. It is fairly stubborn about not doing what my brain tells it to. Which stinks.

Monday night after work, though, it wasn't just being stubborn. Might as well have been a log for all the good it was doing me. I went in to the bathroom at the end of my shift. Getting out was the difficult part. Took 15-20 minutes.

Not the way I want to spend my time waiting for my bus. Not fun. There is one funny aspect about this, though.

When I was through and had fastened my pants apparently I didn't do a very good job. About ten feet into the lobby they started to slide down.

When you're using a walker and your pants start to fall off you have two options. 1) Let them fall but hang on to the walker 2) Let go of the walker and try to grab your pants. Option 2 probably wouldn't work out, so I went with option one. And ended up standing in the lobby of an office building with my pants around my ankles. A slapstick comedian in the age of vaudville would be hard pressed to come up with a better routine.

The night sort of ended with a whimper. I got the whole pants situation worked out and, after resting for a half hour or so (and convincing the paramedics that were called that I could scrape up some mobility), was able to get on my bus and get home as if nothing had happened.

So I guess the moral of the story (if you believe such things exist) is this - sometimes simple things end up being much tougher than they should be. But at least you still have your pants on.

No comments: