Friday, April 27, 2007

No cow

At the supermarket the other day I stumbled across the vitamins aisle. I'm in the market for two specific supplements, so I thought I'd at least have a look.

The first is vitamin D. It has long been believed D supplements can be beneficial for folks with MS, and the formal scientific evidence for this is mounting. I'm not looking to megadose or anything, but figure regularly suplementing my D intake would probably be a good thing.

The second thing I was looking for was flaxseed oil. I've used flaxseed in cooking before (it makes a good binding agent in baked goods), but never taken it as a supplement. The reason I would do this is because it is a very good non-animal based source of omega-3 fatty acids, another nutrient of probable benefit to MS patients. As I usually do when buying anything with ingredient lists on the bottle I turned the bottle around to read the list. This is important to do, given the pencant shown by producers for slipping animal-based ingredients in places you wouldn't necessarily expect them.

The big thing I look out for in medicine and the like is gelatin. Those gel-caps may be easy to swallow, but are often made of a substance I avoid. The ingredient list clarified what the gel-caps were made of in the product I was looking at. Sort of.

"non-bovine". OK, thanks. But that raises more questions than it answers. How about porcine? If the gel-caps are non-animal product in origin, why specify cow? Is there a big Hindu market for flaxseed supplements I don't know about? Wouldn't most folks interested in non-bovine material also want to know if pig skin is involved?

I was too confused by all this to buy anything. I'm all for full disclosure and 'say what you mean' and all, but can't figure out just what they are trying to say (beyond the obvious literal 'no cow')

2 comments:

The Patient Connection said...

Research Blog on Multiple Sclerosis


We at The Patient Connection are currently running a research blog or online discussion on the subject of current treatment options for Multiple Sclerosis. We are seeking the opinions of both people have had or have family members with MRSA.

In particular we are interested in your experiences of Tysabri or other treatment regime

We would love it if you could share your story or just post useful resources for suffers, carers and family members

To participate please go to

http://www.thepatientconnections.com/blog.asp?uid=15


The blog is anonymous and easy to use so I’d like to thank you for your contribution in advance.

Best wishes

Belinda
The Patient Connection
Belinda.shale@thepatientconnections.com

PS Please email me if you have any queries about the blog or any of our projects.

Jason said...

Bwahahaha!!!!

Non-bovine!!!!


That is frickin' hilarious!!!!!!


It certainly does leave a lot of options open as to what it COULD be!


Jason