Tuesday, December 26, 2006

People die

Was going to blog on what I did this CChristmas, but ...

... got in to work today and found out one of my coworkers had died. Apparently by his own hand, but I don't really know the details, so I'm not claiming the cause. All I know for certain is he died.

It really feels kind of strange. I didn't know him well, beyond the few bits one picks up working with someone, but it is still unsettling.

This is not the first time a coworker of mine has left us. Back when I was working as an interpretive naturalist a clerk in the museum's store was crushed in a rock climbing accident. Although I only knew her in passing, not seeing her in the store after that was similarly unsettling.

When something upsetting occurs I find it helpful to think about a personal angle on the events (often humorous, but there is not really much humorous in death). The angle on this most recent event: Once this current (well, not any more) coworker lent me $2 for lunch. It took me 7 or 8 months to repay that $2.

So I remember the guy I owed an insanely small amount of money for an insanely long time.

No comments: