Friday, January 5, 2007

30 songs from the 80s: Day 1 (21-30)

This isn't a top 30 greatest list or anything. It isn't even necessarily songs between 1/1/1980-12/31/1989. Just 30 songs that meant something to me when they came out, in the 80s as I experienced them. I started a list of other songs of note, but it rapidly grew larger than the list itself.

30 - "Empty Spaces" - Pink Floyd

Up to the late 80s I was a HUGE Floyd fan. This is my favorite song off the album that introduced me to them - The Wall.

29 - "Mandinka" - Sinead O'Conner

Before SNL, before "Nothing Compares To U", this is where I learned gee, that bald Irish lassie has some great pipes.

28 - "Time After Time" - Cyndi Lauper

Remember the Rock 'N' Wrestling connection? Anyway, great ballad here. And Cyndi's got great pipes too.

27 - "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Bonnie Tyler

Epic. Haunting. Even without the children of the damned running around the video. And Bonnie's got ... well, she can sing. Raspy voice one doesn't expect from a female artist.

26 - "Super Freak" - Rick James

You would not believe how traumatising I found it hearing that immediately identifiable opening bit only to have it followed by "can't touch this..."

25 - "Hell is for Children" - Pat Benetar

Not one of her big hits, but quite a powerful performance. And Pat's got ... yeah, the pipes thing again.

24 - "She's A Beauty" - The Tubes

Boy, did I apply this to the wrong girls in my early teens.

23 - "Fine Fine Day" - Tony Carey

Tony gets much respect from me, because like Stevie or Prince, he does most everything himself. I probably listened to Planet P Project more, but he was kind of 'behind the curtain' there.

22 - "Like A Prayer" - Madonna

Confession: I'm a closet Madonna fan. Could have picked "Like A Virgin" and stuck with the early/mid 80s bent of most of this list, but I ... uh ... like "Like A Prayer" more.

21 - "Hungry Like The Wolf" - Duran Duran

OK, closet Duranie too. Plus, they took their name from a character in Barberella How cool is that?

Tomorrow: 11-20. Sex, dogs, blood, and video.

No comments: