Sunday, January 21, 2007

Son of 30 songs from the 80s: Day 3 (1-10)

10 - "Fade to Black" - Metallica

Do I owe someone money for saying that?

9 - "Johnny Are You Queer?" - Josie Cotton

Well, are you? Anti-pop crusaders made much of the fact that if you slow this down, it sounds like a man singing. Uhh... the same holds true of Debbie Boone records, Try it.

8 - "Whip It" - Devo

Pretty much decade-defining. That it came so early in the decade says alot about the hair metal infested later portion of the 80s.

7 - "Pleasure and Pain" - Divinals

I swear there is a 'y' some place in that group name. Divynals? Dyvinals? Divinyls? I think the last one.

The lead singer fondles furniture. (see "I Touch My Shelf")

That is the equivalent of the audio daily double. Only makes sense if you listen.

6 - "Stray Cat Strut" - Stray Cats

What year is it again?

5 - "They Don't Know About Us" - Tracy Ullman

Repeat last comment. The Simpsons aren't the only good thing to come from Ullman's 15 minutes of American fame.

4 - "Sample and Hold" - Neil Young

When I was young I must have watched Neil Young in Berlin 2-3 times a week for several months. Back then HBO engaged in a lot of repitition to fill up the schedule.

3 - "Minor Threat" - Minor Threat

I don't have anything to say here, really. Speaks for itself.

2 - "The Stand" - The Alarm

'Poor man's U2' my butt.

1 - "I Ran" - Flock of Seagulls

Hair-wise, an eternal symbol of the decade.

No comments: